Max Rutherston offers Japanese art in many forms. While the emphasis is on netsuke, the gallery endeavours at all times to have interesting holdings of inro and other sagemono, pipe cases and tonkotsu, lacquer, ceramics, sculpture and samurai accoutrements, as well as selected Meiji period works of art
Four to consider
- Ivory Okimono of Shoki and Oni, by Kihodo Masaka2021-05-11T10:11:15+00:00
- **SOLD** Large and Rare Wood Netsuke of Two Struggling Oni2021-05-10T10:13:17+00:00
- **RESERVED** Wood Netsuke of a Monkey in Chestnut, by Naito Toyomasa2021-04-23T17:27:59+00:00
- Ivory Netsuke of a Tiger, by Matsushita Otoman2021-04-20T11:00:57+00:00
Multi Lingual Assistance
Translate Our Website
Please use the Google Translate Tool to read our website content in your preferred language. To simplify this we have listed languages at the top of every page on this website.
**** Currently when you move to a new page the site will revert to English, please simply click on the Flag or language icon again****
Netsuke of Distinction We Have Sold
- **SOLD** Ivory netsuke of a stag2021-01-25T18:07:32+00:00
- **SOLD** Wood Netsuke of a Rolling Stallion by Masanao of Kyoto2021-01-14T14:32:19+00:00
- **SOLD** Ivory Netsuke of a Cat by Kaigyokusai2021-02-09T09:55:22+00:00
- **SOLD** Netsuke of an Eagle Attacking a Monkey by Nakamura Toshimitsu2021-03-15T09:56:09+00:00
Art Advisory Service
Although our principal activity is the buying and selling of netsuke and other Japanese works of art, we are also able to undertake valuations (appraisals) and offer advice on the disposal of individual works of art and collections across a wide spectrum of discipline.
International Netsuke Market
New in 2021 is our International Netsuke Market. The objects displayed on this page are being offered for sale by clients known to me, and have been accepted by me, after careful consideration, as worthy of being posted.